Forest Stewardship Coached Planning
A forestry class for property owners
Spring 2018 – Whidbey Island
Your Land. Your Trees. Your Goals.
Natural beauty, wildlife, ecosystem health, harvest income, family ties, privacy, and peace and quiet are some of the many reasons people value their forestland. Whatever your values are, this comprehensive university-based forestry class will help you get the most out of the land you love. Whether you have just a few wooded acres or a larger forest tract, if you have trees on your property, this class is for you.
Topics covered include:
- How do you know if your trees are healthy? What should you do if they aren’t?
- Are characteristics of your property attracting or repelling the wildlife you enjoy? What can you do if wildlife cause damage?
- Are there certain trees you should always keep or remove? How do you cut trees without damaging your land?
- What types of trees do you have? Does your forest look like a “mess”?
- How do you know if your trees need to be thinned, and how do you go about it?
- How do you identify and mitigate fire risks?
- Are invasive and noxious weeds taking over your underbrush? What are the risks and what can you do about it?
- What kind of soil do you have and how does that affect what grows?
- What is the risk of wildfire on your property?
Save money, too!
As part of this class we will “coach” you in the writing of your own simple forestry plan that may qualify you for property tax reductions or conservation cost-share grants.
- Class Sessions 6:30-9:30 PM Tuesday Evenings*
- March 6 – April 24, 2018
- Saturday Field Trip April 14th.
- *Except the first night, 3/6, when class will start at 6:00
Tuesday evening sessions will be held in the auditorium at Pacific Rim Institute, 180 Parker Rd, Coupeville, WA 98239.
Save $30 before February 23rd
- $170 before February 23rd
- $200 February 23rd or later
Cost is per individual or couple from the same household/ownership. Children are welcome and may attend at no additional cost. Space is limited and is first-come, first-served. Cancellations must be received before February 23rd to be eligible for a refund and may be subject to a $10 processing fee.
- Eight evening class sessions taught by the state’s recognized experts
- A Saturday field trip
- A digital library of reference materials and how-to guides
- A copy of the book Native Trees of Western Washington
- A consultation site visit to your property from a state service forester
- A tree measuring tool
Register by mail
Send in the Registration Form with a check (made out to WSU Extension).
Register online with a credit card via Brown Paper Tickets (subject to credit card processing fee).
With thanks to our partners
This program is an educational partnership between Washington State University Extension Forestry and the Washington Department of Natural Resources Small Forest Landowner Office. This Program is made possible in part by funding and/or in-kind support from Island County, WSU Extension Island County, and the Pacific Rim Institute.
All Are Welcome
Extension programs and employment are available to all without discrimination. Evidence of noncompliance may be reported through your local Extension office. Reasonable accommodations will be made for persons with disabilities and special needs who contact Kelsey Ketcheson at 206-263-1128 or email@example.com at least 21 days prior to the event.
(*denotes available online only – not on your thumb drive)
Week 1 (3/6/18)
- Week 1 Agenda
- SamplePlan1Sample Plan
- Native Trees Worksheet and resources
- Stand Dynamics Worksheet
- Quick Guide to Nomenclature for your Forest Stewardship Plan
- Guidelines for preparing a stand map
- Example Objectives and Property Description Sections
- Native Trees Presentation Slides
- Stand Dynamics Presentation Slides
Week 2 (3/13/18)
- Week 2 Agenda
- Forest Health Handouts
- Forest Health Section Examples
- *Forest Health Presentation Slides
Week 3 (3/20/18)
Week 4 (3/27/18)
- Week 4 Agenda
- Silviculture Handouts
- Property Access Section Examples
- Aesthetics and Recreation Section Examples
- Special Products Section Examples
- *Silviculture Presentation Slides
- Timber Sale Video Slides
Week 5 (4/3/18)
- Week 5 Agenda
- Soils Worksheet
- Soils Section Examples
- Inventory “Cheat Sheet”
- Inventory Worksheet
- Forest Inventory Section Examples
- Soils Presentation Slides
- Inventory Presentation Slides
Sign up for our E-Newsletter.