Introduction to Forestry in Western Washington
- Forest Stand Dynamics in Western Washington
- Forest Management and Silviculture Primer
Note: Access to this online course is guaranteed for at least one year after purchasing.
This course includes two modules:
- 1. Forest Stand Dynamics in Western Washington
- This module provides an introduction to stand dynamics, which is how forests grow, develop, and change over time. Understanding stand dynamics is key to understanding broader subjects like forest ecology and silviculture. Concepts covered include a review of tree physiology, the forest development cycle and the role that disturbance plays, forest succession, and key ecological processes at work during different stages of development.
Instructor: Kevin Zobrist, Washington State University Extension
- 2. Forest Management and Silviculture Primer
- This module will introduce you to silvicultural concepts and techniques in Washington state for achieving a variety of objectives such as forest health, wildlife habitat, and timber production. Topics covered include stand development, harvest systems, thinning, and cultural practices.
Instructor: Don Hanley, Washington State University Extension (emeritus)