Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Current Use Tax Options for King County Forest Owners

Current Use Property Tax Options for King County Forest Owners

Learn how you might qualify for tax reduction

Current use taxation allows land to be taxed based on its current use for growing trees instead of its full market value, which may be based on using the property for development. King County has two options for people with forested property: Designated Forest Land (DFL)and Public Benefit Rating System (PBRS)

Topics Covered

  • How each program works
  • The difference between the two programs
  • Tax benefits
  • Removal penalties
  • Transferring between current use programs
  • Buying and selling enrolled properties
  • Minimum acreage requirements
  • Application procedures, deadlines, and fees
  • Where to go for help


  • Megan Kim, King County Department of Natural Resources and Parks
  • Debra Clark, King County Assessor’s Office

How to participate

The webinar will be offered 7:00 to 8:00 p.m. Tuesday, August 16, 2022. The webinar is free, but pre-registration is required.

Pre-Register for this webinar

Can’t make it on August 16th? No problem! Please register anyway for access to the recording. You do not need to request the recording – all registrants will automatically receive a link to the recording by email several days after the webinar.

This webinar will be held via Zoom. Connection instructions will be provided upon registration. Important: Many participants are becoming frustrated about not receiving the registration confirmation, access instructions, and recording information emails and finding later that those emails were in their spam folders. This is especially a problem if you have a gmail account. If you do not see these emails, you need to check your spam folder.

Acknowledgements and Accommodations

This webinar was made possible in part by funding from King Conservation District.

Extension programs and employment are available to all without discrimination. Evidence of noncompliance may be reported through your local Extension office. Reasonable accommodations will be made for persons with disabilities and special needs who contact Grace Garrison at at least two weeks prior to the event.