Northeast Washington Forest Stewardship Coached Planning Course – Online Spring 2021
A forestry class for property owners
This courses is for properties in Northeast Washington (Stevens, Ferry, Pend Oreille, and Spokane counties). Landowners in other counties of Eastern Washington may register for this class. However, priority registration will be given to landowners in Northeast Washington.
Your Land. Your Trees. Your Goals.
Natural beauty, wildlife, ecosystem health, harvest income, family ties, privacy, and peace and quiet are some of the many reasons people value their forestland. Whatever your values are, this comprehensive university-based forestry class will help you get the most out of the land you love. Whether you have just a few wooded acres or a larger forest tract, if you have trees on your property, this class is for you.
Topics covered include:
- Learn how to identify the trees on your property
- What is the risk of wildfire on your property and what steps can we take to mitigate it.
- Forest Health issues and what pests may be attacking your trees
- Wildlife and habitat creation
- Learn about forest practices rules
- Identify the soils present on your property
- How to create recreational trails and access roads safely
- Forest inventory and timber management
- Tree planting and reforestion
- Agroforestry, silvopasture, and special forest products
- Cultural Resources and Native American uses of the land
- Successional planning for future generations
Where does it count?
As part of this class we will “coach” you in the writing of your own simple forestry plan that may qualify you for property tax reductions, federal and state conservation cost-share grants, and the American Tree Farm certification of sustainable management.
When and Where
Dates and Times
The Northeast Washington course will be held 6:00-8:00 PM Monday and Wednesday evenings, March 29th – June 2nd, 2021
Online – These courses will be offered via live, interactive webinars. A high-speed internet connection is needed. Dial-up will not work. You can access the webinars with your computer or mobile device. Access instructions will be provided prior to the class.
Cost and Registration
- 16 live webinars taught by the state’s recognized experts
- A digital library of reference materials and how-to guides
- A consultation site visit to your property from a state service forester (may be delayed until after the course due to COVID-19)
- Tools and equipment to collect information on your forest
We know this is a difficult time financially for many people. Because of this, we have pulled together some additional funding to allow us to drop the normal $200 per household/ownership course fee down to $60.
Space is limited and is first-come, first-served. Online classes always sell out very early. No refunds within 30 days of the course start date. Eventbrite processing fees are non-refundable.
If registering as a family from the same household/ownership, only do one registration for all of you–do not do separate registrations for individual family members.
The registration process includes required short questionnaire. If you have forested property, please make sure you have your property information ready before you start the registration process, including:
- County of ownership
- Parcel I.D. (found from your county assessor)
- Estimate of total acreage