The WSU Extension Forestry program provides objective, research-based education and resources for owners of forested property as well as the general public. We offer classes, workshops, and field days as well as publications, videos, and online resources to help you achieve your goals as a forest owner. We invite you to browse the vast resources on this site. If you have questions or need additional information, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Local Extension Forestry Programs
- Eastern Washington (serving Stevens, Pend Oreille, Spokane, and Ferry Counties)
- Puget Sound Area (serving Island, King, Pierce, San Juan, Skagit, and Snohomish)
- Southwest Washington (serving Clark, Cowlitz, Grays Harbor, Lewis, Mason, Pacific, Skamania, Thurston, and Wahkiakum Counties)
Our webinars offer online educational experiences (and fun!) brought to you by local experts on a wide range of topics specific to Washington forests.
Forest Stewardship University offers free, on-demand, self-paced online learning modules.
What does it mean to be a small forest landowner?
WATCH THE VIDEO
Resources and Directories
- Forestry Education and Assistance for Washington Forest and Woodland Property Owners
- Online Resources by Topic
- Washington State Consulting Forester and Silvicultural Contractor Directory
- Washington State Small-Scale Sawmill Directory
- Invasive Forest Weeds Resources
- Bigleaf Maple Syrup Resources
- Sapsucker Program – Bigleaf Maple Sugaring Citizen Science Project
- Forest Finance Calculator
- Washington Estate Tax
- Forestry and Natural Resources Job Announcements
- Women Owning Woodlands
Subscribe to WSU’s Forest Stewardship Notes and the DNR Small Forest Landowner Newsletter, two free e-newsletters coordinated to release bi-monthly and catered with content for small forest owners in Washington. On the subscription page, be sure to select “Forest Stewardship Notes” and/or “SFLO News” as your newsletter choice (and any additional DNR newsletters you wish to receive). You will receive a confirmation e-mail after signing up. View the archives for Forest Stewardship Notes and the Small Forest Landowner Newsletter.
Forestry as a Major, Minor, and Graduate Program at WSU
Learn about Forestry and other Natural Resource degrees offered at WSU.
Announcements and Events
Summer 2023 Forest Owners’ Field Days
Western Washington Forest Owners’ Field Day
Saturday, June 10th
Eastern Washington Forest and Range Owners Field Day
Saturday, June 24th, Newport, WA
Establishing and Managing Demonstration Farms & Forests
Friday, June 16th, Spokane, WA
Succession & Estate Planning for Forest, Farm, and Ranch Families
Saturday, June 17th, Spokane, WA
Cost Share Opportunities for King and Pierce County Forest Owners
Tuesday, July 11, 2023
Upcoming Forest Stewardship Coached Planning Courses
Preston Coached Planning
Tuesdays starting September 5th
Forest Stewardship University
Register for Forest Stewardship University to access free, on-demand, self-paced learning modules.
Be a Sapsucker!
Join our bigleaf maple tapping citizen science program.