Preston Forest Stewardship Coached Planning – 2022
A forestry class for property owners
Your Land. Your Trees. Your Goals.
Natural beauty, wildlife, ecosystem health, harvest income, family ties, privacy, and peace and quiet are some of the many reasons people value their forestland. Whatever your values are, this comprehensive university-based forestry class will help you get the most out of the land you love. Whether you have just a few wooded acres or a larger forest tract, if you have trees on your property, this class is for you.
Topics covered include:
- How do you know if your trees are healthy? What should you do if they aren’t?
- Are characteristics of your property attracting or repelling the wildlife you enjoy? What can you do if wildlife cause damage?
- Are there certain trees you should always keep or remove? How do you cut trees without damaging your land?
- What types of trees do you have? Does your forest look like a “mess”?
- How do you know if your trees need to be thinned, and how do you go about it?
- How do you identify and mitigate fire risks?
- Are invasive and noxious weeds taking over your underbrush? What are the risks and what can you do about it?
- What kind of soil do you have and how does that affect what grows?
- What is the risk of wildfire on your property?
Save money, too!
As part of this class we will “coach” you in the writing of your own simple forestry plan that may qualify you for property tax reductions or conservation cost-share grants.
When and Where
Dates and Times
Tuesday Evenings, September 6th – November 1st, 2022; 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM, except for the first day, when class will startat 5:30 PM. Saturday field trip October 15th.
Tuesday evening sessions will be held at the Preston Community Center, 8625 310th Avenue Southeast, Preston, WA 98027.
Cost and Registration
- Nine evening class sessions taught by state and local experts
- A Saturday field trip
- A digital library of reference materials and how-to guides
- A copy of the book Native Trees of Western Washington
- A consultation site visit to your property from a state or county service forester
- A tree measuring tool
The registration fee is $160.
Registration covers up to two adults from the same household/ownership. If registering as a couple, only do one registration for the both of you–do not do two separate registrations. Youth under 18 are welcome and may attend at no additional cost.
Space is limited and is first-come, first-served. This class almost always sells out. Cancellations must be received before August 23rd to be eligible for a refund and may be subject to a $10 processing fee.
If registering as a couple from the same household/ownership, only do one registration for the both of you–do not do two separate registrations.
If registering online, Eventbrite gives you limited time to complete your registration, which includes completion of a required short questionnaire. If you have forested property, please make sure you have your property information ready before you start the registration process, including acreage and county parcel number(s).