Vashon Forest Stewardship Coached Planning – 2019
This class is now full!
A forestry class for property owners
Your Land. Your Trees. Your Goals.
Natural beauty, wildlife, ecosystem health, harvest income, family ties, privacy, and peace and quiet are some of the many reasons people value their forestland. Whatever your values are, this comprehensive university-based forestry class will help you get the most out of the land you love. Whether you have just a few wooded acres or a larger forest tract, if you have trees on your property, this class is for you.
Topics covered include:
- How do you know if your trees are healthy? What should you do if they aren’t?
- Are characteristics of your property attracting or repelling the wildlife you enjoy? What can you do if wildlife cause damage?
- Are there certain trees you should always keep or remove? How do you cut trees without damaging your land?
- What types of trees do you have? Does your forest look like a “mess”?
- How do you know if your trees need to be thinned, and how do you go about it?
- How do you identify and mitigate fire risks?
- Are invasive and noxious weeds taking over your underbrush? What are the risks and what can you do about it?
- What kind of soil do you have and how does that affect what grows?
- What is the risk of wildfire on your property?
Save money, too!
As part of this class we will “coach” you in the writing of your own simple forestry plan that may qualify you for property tax reductions or conservation cost-share grants.
When and Where
Dates and Times
Monday evenings, September 23rd– November 18th, 2019; 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM, except for the first day, when class will start at 5:30 PM. Saturday field trip October 26th.
Complete Schedule and Syllabus (PDF)
Monday evening sessions will be held at the Vashon Land Trust Building, 10014 SW Bank Rd, Vashon, WA 98070.
Cost and Registration
- Nine evening class sessions taught by state and local experts
- A Saturday field trip
- A digital library of reference materials and how-to guides
- A copy of the book Native Trees of Western Washington
- A consultation site visit to your property from a state or county service forester
- A tree measuring tool
Register before September 5th and save $35! The registration fee is $190 before September 5th, and $225 September 5th or later.
Registration covers up to two adults from the same household/ownership. If registering as a couple, only do one registration for the both of you–do not do two separate registrations. Children under 18 are welcome and may attend at no additional cost. Discounts are available for students, active Master Gardeners, or other WSU volunteers – call 206-263-1128 for details.
Space is limited and is first-come, first-served. This class almost always sells out. Cancellations must be received before September 5th to be eligible for a refund and may be subject to a $10 processing fee. The registration deadline is 5:00 p.m. September 18th.
If registering as a couple from the same household/ownership, only do one registration for the both of you–do not do two separate registrations.
If registering online, Eventbrite only gives you eight minutes to complete your registration, which includes completion of a required short questionnaire. If you have forested property, please make sure you have your property information ready before you start the registration process, including acreage and county parcel number(s).